There is another home game this Saturday, and after a few weeks off from the tailgate scene we will back at Commonwealth! It's an early afternoon game so we are taking lunch food...chili. I wanted to make some cornbread muffins to take.
Jim 'N Nick's Cheese Biscuits
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- beaten well4 tablespoon butter
- melted1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
** note -- the comments on the website suggest swapping the regular milk for buttermilk, using less sugar, and using equal amounts self-rising flour and self-rising cornmeal -- so I'll be modifying the recipe with these changes **
- Center a rack in the oven and preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter or spray the 12 molds in a regular-size muffin pan.
- Combine flour, sugar, and baking powder in a large bowl and set aside. Whisk egg, milk, butter, and vanilla together in a medium-sized bowl and set aside. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry ingredients and, with the whisk or a rubber spatula, gently but quickly stir to blend.
- Incorporate shredded cheese into batter. Do not over mix.
- Divide batter evenly among greased muffin tins. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes. When fully baked, the tops of the biscuits will be golden and springy to the touch and a thin knife inserted into the center of the biscuits will come out clean. Transfer the pan to a rack and cool for 5 minutes before carefully removing each biscuit from its mold.
Makes 10 to 12 biscuits.
Recipe and pictures from here.