Tuesday, February 16

done & done

I finally finished the curtains for our bedroom. The fabric had been sitting in our bedroom, still on the bolt, for about 3 months. I made two panels and a fixed roman shade. I bought 7.5 yards of fabric from JoAnne's and the curtain rod and clip rings from Walmart. {sorry in advance for the dark b.berry pics}

I wanted the panels to be 89" so I cut the fabric at about 96", allowing for a top and bottom hem. Ya'll, this really wasn't as easy as I thought it was going to be. Figuring out how to make the hems level and how to make sure that the entire panel stayed at 89" was tough! So, a little secret...I made about a 2" hem at the top of each panel and then went ahead and hung them up. (truth be told, I only did this on the second panel bc I tried doing the first one the hard way and only then did I come up with this genius idea) Once they were up I pinned the bottoms so they would just touch the floor. I then brought my handy portable sewing machine into the bedroom and sewed the bottom hem while the panels were up! I realize this is probably not the most professional method, but it worked! As for the side hems, (obviously I did these before handing them up) I left the fabric the width of the bolt and folded it under once, then one more time and sewed a straight stitch down the length. Ironing the folds really makes this step easier.

The day after I got these done I found this tutorial over at Young House Love. If you don't sew, or just want to use an easier method, I suggest you check out their post!

I made the fixed roman shade following Darby's tutorial, which you can find here. Mine is a little wonky and of course not as great as hers, but I like it ok.
see how it kind of goes up on the right? oh well!

15 comments:

CarrieMarie said...

beautifully done!

Anonymous said...

They look perfect! Great fabric choice!!

katie lake said...

They look great! Love the fabric!

Natalie said...

looks great! good work - i am about to tackle many of these same things. wish me luck

Lea Liz said...

They look great!! Love the fabric! You did a super job!

Cloggsy said...

That fabric is simply fabulous!

Anonymous said...

Everything look great! You've totally convinced me I should learn to sew.

Brown Girl said...

I get so jealous when I see stuff like this. I wish I was more crafty.

Anonymous said...

Hey girl, what is your email address? When you get some time I'd love to ask you about law school! I'm contemplating going. My email address is bloggeremma@gmail.com! xoe

Elizabeth said...

I think they look fabulous!

Check out my blog when you get a chance- I tagged you for an award!

pammycakes said...

They look great! good work!

Ali said...

I love that fabric- very pretty! I think you did a wonderful job!

Sara McCarty said...

Wow!! They look fantastic!! Love the fabric.

tam pham said...

awesome job!

Anonymous said...

You did much better than I could have...I can't sew straight to save my life! The roman shade really isn't too noticeable, and I love that fabric :) I tried to hem a pair of pants once...yeah. Ended up having those suckers re-done.