- 1 1/2 pounds (about 6 cups) fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled), plus more for dusting
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk
- Whipped Cream
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Make the sweetened strawberries: Hull and quarter strawberries; toss in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup sugar. Let stand until syrupy, tossing occasionally, at least 20 minutes (and up to 1 day, covered and refrigerated).
- In a food processor, combine flour, butter, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, and salt; process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add milk; pulse just until moistened, 4 or 5 times. Do not overprocess.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface; with floured hands, gently pat dough into a 4-by-8-inch rectangle.
- Dust a large knife with flour; cut dough into 8 squares. Transfer to a baking sheet; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar. Bake until golden, 25 to 30 minutes; cool on baking sheet. To serve, split biscuits with a serrated knife; layer with berries and whipped cream.
and i'm probably going to have to make these for the 4th of July. just use a star cookie cutter and add blueberries in with the mix! too cute!
and in all honesty...i'll probably be using this to make mine :)
Logan enjoying some fresh strawberries this weekend after going to the pool!